Thursday, February 22, 2007

Keep the Faith

As a High School history teacher, I discuss many different religions, and the impact they had on the people of that particular time period of history. To me, this is one of the hardest things I do. I have strong religious convictions of my own, and it's so difficult to be teaching these ideas without voicing a real opinion about them. Even with that, the thing that surprises me most as I teach many of these kids, is the lack of ANY religious ideals among them. Now, there are some that are good kids with a solid religious background, and they come from a variety of faiths, but there are just as many who have no beliefs, or who profess one belief, but don't live that way. Maybe it's just a show for their friends, but when a kid tells you his goal in life is to sell drugs like his uncle, and to join his gang, it can really be discouraging.

All I can do is keep going, set the example I can, and hope for the future.

Take care. Stick.

No comments: