Sunday, March 16, 2008

Deep Purple Daydream--Let there be light

When we moved into our current home, we had one bedroom that was not quite finished--it was missing a ceiling. So, with a little sheet rock and some moderate labor, we closed it up, textured it and painted it. My second daughter, "R", has claimed this room as her own, and wanted to choose a paint color for the walls, which we allowed. She chose a color called "Harebell", which looked on the sample to be a light lavender color. However, once it was on the walls, it doesn't look quite so light anymore. She is now sleeping in the "purple pit". She says she likes it, but if we ever decide to sell this house, I know we will have to re-paint, including a primer coat to cover those walls.

In addition to painting, we have been doing other fix ups around this home--small things. We do not have a light fixture in the ceiling in our living room. The only lights present are plugged into a switched outlet, so we wanted to add a light. We found a really nice fixture on sale, and purchased it along with the accoutrement's needed to install it. We had planned to run a wire to one of the existing switches and tie this light in to them. Yesterday, I crawled (literally) into our attic to start the process. The rafters are so low that it is impossible to stand up, or even 'duck walk' in the attic. After working my way halfway through--to where I thought the wire I had pushed up through the junction box should be, I found that the builders of this home had sealed the top of the walls, and I could not fish the wire through. Now I have a hole in the middle of my living room ceiling, and I don't know how I'm going to get any power to my light. Maybe I'll just have to run an extension cord from an outlet up through the attic (just kidding). We'll figure it out. Until then, maybe we'll put a nice plant there to cover the hole. No one will notice a rhododendron sprouting from the ceiling.

Hoping for light. Take care. Stick.

No comments: