Friday, October 5, 2007

Concessions aren't Just in the Ballpark

I finally have to concede that I am getting older. I know that some of you are shaking your heads and saying, “No! Say it isn’t so!” Unfortunately it is. I have now entered the ranks of the bi-focal wearing generation. My hair seems to gray before my feeble eyes, and my body does not want to do the things it so willingly did twenty years ago. I can no longer run up a mountainside with my eighty pound backpack. I can’t work all day carting loads that would balk a mule, and then go out that evening and dance the night away. My only hope is that nature has somehow compensated me for the loss of these hitherto accepted attributes. I like to think that I am wiser than I was then, so I choose to carry more efficient gear, that weighs less, and that is why my pack is not as heavy. Now I take my time as I climb those mountains, the better to enjoy nature and breathe the fresh air. My years have brought to me more responsibility, so that I don’t have the leisure to waste away my evening with frolicking around after a hard days work. As for the bifocals and gray hair, these are just reminders of the hours spent in study and contemplation spent in gaining the wisdom which I have now acquired.

At least that is what I tell myself.

I wish I was twenty again. Take care. Stick

1 comment:

Delirious said...

Go to my blog and find the post about getting older. Take the online quiz. You might be younger than you think you are. :)