Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bjorn who?

When I was in High School, I took up tennis. My friend and I spent at least two hours every day except Sunday playing the game. Within just a few months, we were the team to beat on any court we played on. We would challenge anyone, and usually won. High schoolers, college players--it didn't matter. I played tennis even when I had no one to play with. I would spend hours serving, beating the ball against the wall, or whatever I could do to try to improve my game.

Today, I went to play tennis with my two younger daughters and their friend. I had a good time. In my brain, I knew every move I needed to make, every shot that would win the point. Unfortunately, my tennis playing days were 30 years ago. I still did okay, but was frustrated at all of the shots that I missed. Balls I was just too slow to get to, shots that I turned my wrist just a little too far, or a little too short. I realize that if I played every day, like I did when I was 17, I could probably get some of that back, but I know deep down that it will never be the same as I remember. Maybe it never was. That's the advantage of memory. I still love the game though.

Stay young. Live in the present, not in your memory. Stick.

2 comments:

Nene said...

Do your girls play tennis a lot?

Stick said...

Becca plays on the school team in the fall, so plays occasionally the rest of the year. Andrea has been taking a tennis course this spring, and enjoys to play (of course the guy she likes plays and is on the school team as well. Becca's current boy friend does too.) Sara would go up to the High school after Volleyball practice to catch a ride home with the other two girls, and she would play around while waiting. They all have fun.