Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tagged for 161!

I got tagged by Nene for posting page 161 of a book I’m reading. I thought I would post two. The first is the book I’m reading. It is Tehanu by Ursula K. LeGuin.

“When I first saw you, I thought you were my son. You’re nothing alike, only in being tall, and thin, and young.”

The second is from the book that I am writing, Westar Rising.

The voice was followed by a small wiry man riding out of the forest on a sway-backed, crow-bit horse that surely must have been years beyond its time of useful service to anyone, in spite of the fact that the small man was riding it. How it had carried him this far was beyond Anthos’ comprehension. He rode with the barest of tack—a riding pad whose padding was coming out in numerous places, and a rope halter patched together from several different pieces of rope and string. The man himself was clothed in a similarly poor outfit. His shirt was the roughest of homespun, with patches dotting the elbows and elsewhere. What buttons were left on the shirt were mismatched, and seemed to hold on to the front with simple determination rather than the strength left in the thread that stretched between button and fabric. His pants had legs of different lengths due to the left cuff having been torn at some time from its accustomed home, and his shoes would have given nightmares to any cobbler. A rag of a hat topped off his ensemble, with its ragged edges shading his eyes and face just enough so that his features were concealed.

No comments: