Thursday, November 12, 2009

Hot! Hot! Hot! Or Almost

We had an interesting situation occur Wednesday at school. We were part of the way through our sixth hour classes when the principal came on the intercom and announced that we needed to evacuate the building due to a potential natural gas leak.

We marched over 1200 students and faculty out of the building and down the street about a mile to the local Junior High. I have done similar type activities in other areas, so I know what should have happened. The reality was CHAOS!
There was no organization, no chain of command or information, and no knowledge of what was expected. No one knew where they were to ultimately go. No one knew who to go to, or where, for information on what was going to happen.

I hope that the school learned from this, and that they plan better for any future possible needs in this area.

Take care. Stick.

1 comment:

Dee Ice Hole said...

Take your experience and add fire to it and you have what I deal with all the time on incidents. That's the way of the world--no organization--no communications--some knowledge but no clue how to organize it--I always said my job was to put oil on the disturbed waters. After we got there and got started the turmoil began to decrease and continued to decrease until we were finished---I am very thankful for the training I have been through on organizing and producing results.